Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Where is the Unbalance?

People who play MMORPG's perhaps are looking for a social element which has been absent in their reality. Many people who are addicted to MMORPG's have found that they are popular or accomplished in the virtual world. Because these games are essentially a large social network, the stimulating effects of becoming the hero in these games are just as powerful as becoming the hero on the football field. Everyone has a need to feel needed. If our society is not able to offer everyone a way to become successful and important, those who are socially rejected will turn to other avenues to find their place. I don't see our society moving away from the clubs, cliques and classes which promote favoritism and leave others as unimportant and under-appreciated. Therefore I find it fortunate that the virtual world can provide an alternative to our socially biased reality.

3 comments:

  1. I see your point, Andrew. As a teenager, I participated in forums with creative writing, and overall I had a great experience by reading and critiquing others on the site. It helped me learn that I love to write.

    I think MMORPGs themselves are less of the problem, and more that it can consume someone's life. Any good thing taken to an extreme can be potentially consuming, regardless of whether the person is successful/appreciated/valued or not. I think this is definitely possible even for those who aren't gaming 14 hours a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree so long as these virtual worlds do not interfere with reality. Once real relationships are being damaged because of MMORPGs, then there becomes a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting! I can see where you're coming from. It's true that MMORPGs can provide that same feeling of social fulfillment, and it's also true that society is socially biased (my way or the highway). I think it's cool that society made this as another outlet. Of course, it can be abused, but I can understand how it can provide a lot of good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete